- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
Arsene Wenger reveals injury concern after West Brom win
Arsene Wenger has revealed that Kieran Gibbs missed last night’s 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion due to a minor back injury.
Gibbs has been forced to sit on the sidelines for much of the season having lost his first team place to Nacho Monreal with the 26-year-old starting just 3 Premier League games so far this term.
With last weekend’s draw with Crystal Palace ending our slim title hopes and Wenger ready to mix things up for the visit of West Brom last night, many thought Gibbsy could be given a rare run-out.
However, the defender wasn’t named in the 18-man squad as Monreal once again started at left-back and put in a typically solid display as we beat Tony Pulis’ side 2-0 thanks to a double from Alexis Sanchez.
Fans were left wondering whether Gibbs had simply been axed from the squad but Wenger confirmed to Arsenal.com late last night that he was forced to miss the game due to a minor back injury.
When asked why Gibbs was left out, the boss said:
[He had] a back problem. It looks short term. He had a training session today.
Thankfully the injury isn’t serious and with Gibbs back in training, there is a chance he could be involved against Sunderland when we travel to the Stadium of Light on Sunday.
With such a short turn around between games, Wenger is likely to make some changes this weekend and I’d like to see Gibbs given a run-out as he needs games to impress Roy Hodgson and force his way in to the England squad for the Euro’s.