- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
- International star responds to Arsenal move reports
- [Photos] Arsenal star trains despite ligament injury fears
Arsene Wenger reveals injury concern after West Brom win
Arsene Wenger has revealed that Kieran Gibbs missed last night’s 2-0 win over West Bromwich Albion due to a minor back injury.
Gibbs has been forced to sit on the sidelines for much of the season having lost his first team place to Nacho Monreal with the 26-year-old starting just 3 Premier League games so far this term.
With last weekend’s draw with Crystal Palace ending our slim title hopes and Wenger ready to mix things up for the visit of West Brom last night, many thought Gibbsy could be given a rare run-out.
However, the defender wasn’t named in the 18-man squad as Monreal once again started at left-back and put in a typically solid display as we beat Tony Pulis’ side 2-0 thanks to a double from Alexis Sanchez.
Fans were left wondering whether Gibbs had simply been axed from the squad but Wenger confirmed to Arsenal.com late last night that he was forced to miss the game due to a minor back injury.
When asked why Gibbs was left out, the boss said:
[He had] a back problem. It looks short term. He had a training session today.
Thankfully the injury isn’t serious and with Gibbs back in training, there is a chance he could be involved against Sunderland when we travel to the Stadium of Light on Sunday.
With such a short turn around between games, Wenger is likely to make some changes this weekend and I’d like to see Gibbs given a run-out as he needs games to impress Roy Hodgson and force his way in to the England squad for the Euro’s.