- Arsenal set to table formal bid for Euro 2016 winner
- Arsenal boss held talks with £52m midfielder in Paris hotel
- Arsenal tipped to pay buyout fee for international attacker
- Referee’s announced for Arsenal’s games vs Man City & West Ham
- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
Arsenal face battle with Man Utd to land £30m-rated defender
According to talkSPORT, Arsenal will face stiff competition for the signature of Kostas Manolas from Premier League rivals Chelsea and Manchester United this summer.
Manolas is a name many of you should be familiar with as he was strongly linked with a move to the Emirates when he left Olympiacos two years ago.
The Greek international was reportedly on the brink of making an £8m switch before AS Roma made a last ditch swoop to hijack our proposed deal and he eventually headed off to Italy.
Arsene Wenger has continued to monitor the centre-back and talkSPORT claim that we’ve now renewed our interest as the boss looks to strengthen his defensive options after another frustrating season.
However, it looks as though we’re going to face some stiff competition as the report suggests that Manchester United and Chelsea have also expressed their interest in luring Manolas to England this summer.
The defender is thought to be open to the idea of leaving Serie A but the Express reported last week that Roma were keen to keep hold of the 24-year-old and have slapped a £30m price-tag on his head in order to try and warn-off interest.
A suspect defence has once again been our Achilles heel at times this season so I’d definitely like to see a top class centre-back come in to partner Laurent Koscielny this summer and Manolas has certainly been impressing during his time with Roma.
However, I personally have my doubts over whether Wenger will pay that kind of money for a centre-back as the boss usually only spends big money on attackers. The likes of Chelsea and United wouldn’t think twice about throwing £30m at a defender so I’d say we’re already on the back foot in the race for Manolas.