- Arsenal trio set to return + positive update on attacker
- Attacker hints at surprise move back to Arsenal
- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
Arsenal table £24m bid after opening formal talks for Swiss star
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal have tabled an opening £24m offer for Granit Xhaka after holding formal talks with Borussia Monchengladbach over a summer deal.
Despite increasing calls for Arsene Wenger to leave his position as manager, the Frenchman is fully expected to see-out the final year of his contract and it looks as though he’s already planning his summer transfer activity.
Xhaka has been widely touted as one of Arsenal’s key transfer targets this summer and the Mirror claim that we’ve now held formal negotiations with Gladbach over a potential deal for the Swiss international.
The newspaper suggests that an opening offer worth £24m has now been put on the table and although the Bundesliga outfit value Xhaka at closer to £32m, the club are understood to be confident a deal will be reached.
If we do manage to get a deal agreed, the signing will likely see Xhaka become our third biggest ever transfer behind Ozil and Sanchez, so it would certainly be a statement of intent from Wenger following two very disappointing transfer windows.
Mathieu Flamini, Tomas Rosicky and Mikel Arteta are all set to leave in June so we need to bring in at least new midfielder this summer and we’ve sent scouts to keep an eye on Xhaka over 30 times this season alone, according to the Mirror, so we certainly have a solid interest.
The 23-year-old is a specialist holding midfielder who’s known for his excellent passing range but he’s also got superb leadership skills – which is something we’ve been sorely lacking in recent years.
Xhaka has been outstanding for Galdbach since joining the club from Basel four years ago and he’s already established at international level having racked up 40 caps for Switzerland, so I think he’d be an excellent addition to the squad if we can bring him to the Emirates this summer.