- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsene Wenger ‘confident’ of agreeing terms with super-star duo
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he’s ‘confident’ of agreeing fresh terms with Alexis Sanchez and Mesut Ozil when contract negotiations intensify this summer, according to the Mirror.
Sanchez still has two years left to run on the four-year deal that he penned after signing from Barcelona in the summer of 2014 while Ozil also has two years left on the five-year contract that he signed when he arrived from Real Madrid in 2013.
Preliminary talks have already gotten underway with their representatives over lengthy extensions for the super-star duo as Arsenal look to tie down two of our most important players to new long-term deals.
Arsene was quizzed about the talks at his press conference on Friday and he told reporters that while nothing has been agreed as yet, he’s confident they’ll sign new deals as both players have expressed their happiness at the club.
Wenger is quoted as saying by the Mirror:
“That (contract negotiations) will be done in the break, in the summer.
“Yes, I am confident. Yes, they have a two-year contract left and there’s been nothing done yet.
“They look happy, when I talk to them they are happy and they want to extend their contracts so I don’t think it is a problem.”
Ozil is currently our top earner with the Mirror claiming the German international is set to get an increase on his current £140,000-a-week wage with lucrative bonuses also set to be put on the table.
Sanchez is also among Arsenal’s highest earners with the Chilean on £130,000-a-week but he too can expect to receive a significant pay hike in order to cement his long-term future.
It would be a huge boost if we could get Ozil and Sanchez to sign new contracts as there have been reports in the press that they may look to leave this summer if we don’t win the Premier League title.
I personally don’t see either player leaving but it would be a concern if they don’t agree fresh terms this summer as it would leave us vulnerable to losing them on the cheap in 2017.