- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Wenger’s update: Duo return, defender fit & pair to resume training
Arsene Wenger has given reporters a full team news update ahead of our FA Cup quarter final with Watford this weekend.
We welcome the Hornets to the Emirates on Sunday afternoon and the boss has confirmed that Per Mertesacker will be available despite suffering a head injury against Hull in midweek.
Gabriel is set to return to full training tomorrow after also being forced off on Tuesday night with a suspected hamstring injury and Arsene believes he’ll be passed fit to line-up against Watford.
We could have plenty of options at the back as Laurent Koscielny will also resume full training on Saturday after recovering from a calf injury that’s kept him out of recent games. However, Wenger will seek advice from the clubs medical team before deciding whether to take a risk on the Frenchman this weekend.
The squad will be further boosted by the return of Francis Coquelin from suspension while Hector Bellerin will come back in to the side after being rested against Hull last time out.
“Gabriel and Mertesacker should be available. Koscielny is not far, will I risk him? I haven’t made a decision yet.” Wenger is quoted as saying by London24
Coquelin is coming back from a suspension and Bellerin was not in the squad but is available.”
“Gabriel has not trained but Mertesacker has. I don’t think Gabriel has lost too much fitness but we will see. My gut feeling is that he will be available.”
“Koscielny will join training tomorrow and then we will maybe take a gamble on a guy who has had one training session. If I get advice from the medical team I will do it.”
Even if Gabriel isn’t passed fit after training tomorrow, I wouldn’t take a risk on Koscielny. There’s no point pushing him to come back too early and risking him suffering a setback and Calum Chambers could start alongside Mertesacker if needed.