- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
“I’ve signed a 5-year contract” – midfielder confirms Arsenal move
Arsenal have signed Nigerian wonderkid Kelechi Nwakali on a five-year deal, the player has confirmed today.
Nwakali has been strongly linked with a move to Arsenal in recent months after he caught the eye of our scouts at the Under-17 World Cup last year.
The 17-year-old played a key role to help the Super Eagles lift the trophy in Chile with Nwakali named as the tournaments best player after a string of excellent displays.
His potential attracted interest from a whole host of top European clubs but it soon became apparent that Arsenal were closing in on his signature.
The Express reported at the end of January that the teenager had flown to London to undergo his medical discuss personal terms, while he was also shown around the clubs facilities.
We were waiting on his visa application going through but that stumbling block has also been overcome and it appears everything has now been agreed as Nwakali has confirmed he’s signed a five-year deal with the club.
The box-to-box midfielder revealed that there was plenty of interest in his services but he couldn’t turn down the opportunity to play for Arsenal having supported the club since he was a child.
He’s quoted as saying in the Mirror:
“I just came back from London, I have signed a five-year contract with Arsenal.
“So many teams were interested in me but it has been my dream at a tender age to play for Arsenal.”
The youngster is now back in Nigeria and will officially complete his move to North London when he turns 18 in June, with the Mirror claiming that we’ll pay the Diamond Football Academy £3m for his signature.
Nwakali is a central midfielder and has drawn comparisons with Patrick Vieira for his style of play, but he’s obviously got a long way to go before he matches what the big man achieved in the game.