- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
Arsenal legend makes his prediction for crucial match v Swansea
Arsenal legend Paul Merson has offered his prediction ahead of tomorrow night’s huge clash with Swansea City and he’s backed his former club to get back on track with a win.
We welcome the Swans to North London desperately needing to bounce back following Sunday’s hugely disappointing 3-2 defeat at Manchester United which leaves our title hopes hanging in the balance.
That loss means we’re now five points adrift of leaders Leicester City and three behind Tottenham so a win is a must tomorrow if we’re to remain in the race, and Merson feels we’ll do enough to get the three points.
Writing in his column for Sky Sports News, Merson – who spent 12 years at Arsenal between 1985 and 1997 – believes that while we were ‘a joke’ on Sunday, he feels Swansea are a good side for us to be playing right now and backed us to get a much-needed win.
I agree with Graeme Souness that Arsenal were a joke on Sunday, but I believe they will beat Swansea at home. They simply have to win this because if they lose and Leicester win, then it’s goodnight for the title race. It would be an eight-point gap to Leicester and they’re also chasing Tottenham who have a much better goal difference. For that reason, I’d say this is probably the biggest game of the season so far for Arsenal.
Swansea had a kick in the teeth after losing from 1-0 up at Spurs and they are probably the perfect team for Arsenal to play this week because they’re a nice team who won’t kick Arsenal off the pitch. Arsenal should win – but if they don’t score in the first 20 minutes, it could get very cagey.
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-0
It’s hard to argue that we were a joke against United as it was an inept performance against a very poor side. However, I’m not too sure I agree with Merse that Swansea are the ‘perfect’ opposition for us tomorrow.
The Welsh outfit have become something of a bogey team for us in recent years and with them fighting for their lives at the wrong end of the table right now, I think they’ll give us a very tough game.
However, hopefully the boys can raise their game as we’ll certainly need to if we want to remain in this title race….