- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal legend makes his prediction for Arsenal vs Leicester
Arsenal legend Paul Merson has had his say on this weekend’s crucial clash with Leicester City and is backing his old club to pick up a vital win.
We welcome the league leaders to the Emirates on Sunday afternoon needing a win to give our title hopes a major boost after a stuttering January saw us fall off the pace.
Victory over the Foxes would see us cut the gap to just two points and put us right back in the frame, and former winger Merson believes we’re going to do just that.
The 47-year-old spent 12 years with Arsenal between 1985-1997, winning two league titles and an FA Cup to ensure he’ll go down as one of the Arsenal greats.
Merse now works as a pundit and he’s used his weekly column with Sky Sports to predict that Arsenal will get themselves right back in the title hunt with a 2-1 win over Leicester this weekend….but he doesn’t think it’s going to be easy.
“Arsenal have to win this game for me but they are set up perfectly for Leicester, exactly the same as Man City were last week. Arsenal will have loads of the ball and then bang, Leicester will hit them on the counter.”
“Leicester absolutely slaughtered City so Arsenal have got to be careful. They are nowhere near as good a team as Arsenal but they play a certain way which can majorly hurt them.”
“This game will come down to how the first 25 minutes pans out. If Arsenal score early I fancy them to run away with it but if they don’t I fancy Leicester. Arsenal will continue to bomb forward for a goal and that plays right into the hands of the league’s best counter attacking side.”
“However, having said that, Arsenal’s class should prevail, but it wouldn’t shock me one iota if Leicester won.”
PAUL PREDICTS: 2-1
He’s not usually known for his way with words but I think Merson has called this game spot on. Leicester are perfectly set-up to beat us on the counter-attack and that’s why I think it would be suicide to play Mertesacker and Flamini on Sunday.
If Wenger starts Gabriel at the back and Coquelin alongside Ramsey in midfield, then I’ll be confident we can get the win we desperately need.
Let’s hope Merson’s prediction of a 2-1 comes to fruition….