- Arsenal handed major injury boost ahead of Man City clash
- Arsenal legend responds to reports he’ll replace Arsene Wenger
- Wenger: Barca star ‘had agreement’ to join Arsenal
- Mesut Ozil picks up fresh injury concern on international duty
- Arsenal star explains why Sanchez/Ozil haven’t signed new deals
- Arsene Wenger offers injury update on Alexis Sanchez
- Arsenal ready to snap-up Barca attacker for £25m [Times]
- Arsenal offer defender lucrative contract ahead of summer move
- Arsenal boss offers update on Sanchez & Ozil contract situations
- Arsenal suffer huge injury blow, star to miss crucial games
Arsenal lining-up swoop for 27-year-old in-form hitman – reports
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are lining-up a summer swoop for in-form Bayer Leverkusen striker Javier Hernandez but will face competition from Liverpool for his signature.
I’m sure most of you will remember Hernandez from his time at Manchester United with the ‘Little Pea’ known for his finishing abilities inside the area during his time at Old Trafford.
After falling out-of-favour under Louis van Gaal, Hernandez was sold to Leverkusen last summer in a cut-price £8.5m deal and it’s fair to say he’s been showing United what they’ve been missing over in Germany.
Hernandez has been in excellent form for Leverkusen with 22 goals in 26 games in all competitions so far and incredibly he’s won the Bundesliga Player of the Month award for the last three months in a row.
Obviously this kind of form has clubs throughout Europe sitting up and taking notice and the Mirror claim that Arsenal are now eyeing a summer move for the Mexican international.
We were linked during the January window but Leverkusen refused to do business so it looks as though Arsene Wenger is ready to renew his interest as he looks to bring in an alternative to Olivier Giroud up front.
However, we aren’t the only club in the running as the Mirror suggest that Liverpool are also showing a keen interest in luring Hernandez back to the Premier League, and I’m sure there will be other clubs who’ll enter the bidding if Leverkusen decide to cash-in.
I was always a fan of Hernandez during his time at United and he’d certainly be the ‘fox in the box’ that many feel we’ve been lacking in recent years, but I’m not convinced his all-round game suits our style-of-play.
For all his flaws, Giroud is very good with his back to goal and brings the likes of Sanchez and Ozil in to play and obviously he’s very good in the air too. Hernandez is a poacher and would stretch defences in behind, but we’ve got Walcott to do that, so I’m not sure we need the Mexican.
If we’re to buy a striker this summer, I’d rather we buy someone who can do Giroud’s role….but better. And that player isn’t Hernandez.