- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal linked with swoop for 28-year-old free-kick specialist
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are eyeing a summer swoop for West Ham attacker Dimitri Payet.
The 28-year-old has enjoyed a hugely impressive debut season in the Premier League for the Hammers since joining the club from Marseille last summer.
The French international has already notched 6 goals and provided five assists in his 22 games so far, and has developed a reputation as something of a free-kick specialist after curling home a few stunners this season.
It appears his excellent form at Upton Park has caught the eye of Arsene Wenger as the Mirror are carrying a report today claiming we’re keen on bringing Payet to the Emirates Stadium this summer.
So what to make of this rumour?….
Obviously when a player like Payet is playing well it’s always going to lead to transfer rumours and the speculation intensified after reports emerged suggesting that his representatives were demanding a new contract worth almost double his current £65k-a-week deal.
However, West Ham quickly released a statement on their official website today dismissing these reports and insisted they were confident of tying Payet down to a new deal soon.
Even if he does sign a new contract, that wouldn’t stop the likes of Arsenal if they wanted to sign Payet. It would just mean we’d probably have to pay more for him, so I still think there could be something in this.
But do we even need him? No doubt he’s a hugely talented player who’s taken to life in the Premier League well, but we already have Mesut Ozil and Alexis Sanchez playing in the role’s he could fill and Payet isn’t going to displace our star duo.
Sure, he’d be a great player to have in the squad but would Payet leave West Ham to sit on our bench?
No doubt the rumours will intensify over Payet’s future over the coming months and Arsenal will continue to be linked, but I personally don’t think he’ll end up making a move to North London.