- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Defender speaks out after signing new long-term Arsenal deal
Nacho Monreal has signed a new long-term contract with Arsenal, the club confirmed on Arsenal.com this morning.
The Spanish defender has been in negotiations with the club for some time and the longer it went without him penning a new deal, the more speculation grew that Nacho could head back to his homeland this summer.
However, news emerged at the end of December that a deal with Arsenal was close and the formalities have now been finalised as we’ve confirmed today that Monreal has signed a new long-term contract.
The 29-year-old has been one of the most reliable players in the squad over the past 18 months and his consistent displays have seen Nacho cement the left-back spot ahead of Kieran Gibbs, with the Spaniard featuring in all 22 of our league matches so far this campaign.
So it’s a huge bonus that he’s finally committed his future to the club as Monreal is no doubt one of the unsung hero’s in the squad and he’s a hugely valuable member of the team.
After penning his new deal, Monreal told Arsenal.com that he’s delighted to extend his stay in North London and his relationship with his team mates, the fans and Arsene Wenger were key to him remaining at the Emirates.
“I’m really happy because my intention was to keep playing for Arsenal, I feel really good playing here.
“I have a good relationship with my team-mates and we keep improving year after year. I wanted to stay here and I could extend my contract. I would like to play here for many more years.
“The trust of the Arsenal fans is really important for us because they are helping us in every moment as we are fighting to win the Premier League.
“I met the boss three years ago and I have a really good relationship with him and I’m really happy with him. For these reasons I extended my contract.”
“I’m very happy with my performances this season. At the beginning it was difficult because I was a new signing and I didn’t speak English.
“But now I feel more comfortable with my team-mates and with everything in general so that has helped me to play better because I have more confidence in myself.”
Congratulations Nacho. He fully deserves his new deal and hopefully he can continue his fine form during the second half of the season and help guide us to the title!