- No Sanchez but Arsenal duo named in Premier League Team of the Week
- [Video] Alexis Sanchez confirms he’s ‘really happy’ at Arsenal
- Arsenal rocked: Wenger fears star’s season is over following surgery
- Preview: Swansea v Arsenal, team news, line-up & prediction
- Arsenal’s FA Cup clash selected for live TV, date & time confirmed
- [Photos] Injured duo join new signing in Arsenal training today
- Wenger confirms duo could leave Arsenal this month
- Arsenal star ruled out for 2 games after Wenger confirms setback
- Team news: Arsenal duo ruled out but key quartet return for Swansea
- Arsenal doing battle with Spurs to sign German attacker – reports
Photos: Arsenal’s new signing all smiles after completing move
Arsenal have finally completed their first signing of the January transfer window after wrapping up a deal for FC Basel midfielder Mohamed Elneny.
We’ve been patiently waiting for the worst kept secret in football to be formally announced after Arsene Wenger let slip last night that Elneny was pretty-much an Arsenal player.
Speaking after our dramatic 3-3 draw at Liverpool on Wednesday night, Wenger told reporters “he has joined us” when asked for an update on the Elneny transfer.
This came after weeks of speculation and the 23-year-old flew in to London earlier this week to put the finishing touches on his move after work permit problems had held up the deal.
All the formalities have now been concluded as Arsenal announced on their official website this afternoon that Elneny has joined the club and although we haven’t disclosed the fee, the Daily Mail claim we’ve paid Basel just £5m.
So we’ve finally wrapped-up our first signing of the January window and Elneny could prove to be a very important new addition to the squad during the second half of the season.
Wenger has seen his midfield options decimated by injury so far this campaign and with Cazorla, Wilshere and Coquelin all still on the sidelines, the Egyptian international is going to give us some depth in a vital area.
He’s expected to be registered in time to be eligible for the squad this weekend but I can’t imagine he’ll be thrown in to the deep end away at Stoke. He might be on the bench but I expect Arsene will give him some time to settle before thinking about starting him.
Here are more photos of Elneny in his new Arsenal shirt courtesy of Arsenal.com: