- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Team news: Wenger’s update on Sanchez, Wilshere, Arteta & Rosicky
Arsene Wenger has given Arsenal.com a full team news update ahead of our trip to Aston Villa including the latest on Sanchez, Wilshere, Rosicky and Arteta….
Alexis has missed our last three matches after picking up a hamstring injury against Norwich last month and the attacker is currently back in Chile recuperating.
Newspaper reports suggest he could return to training next week and be in contention to return against Manchester City on December 21.
However, Arsene has refused to be drawn on a comeback date and has simply confirmed that Sanchez won’t be available for selection against Villa on Sunday.
The other player close to making his comeback is Arteta as he looks to overcome his latest calf injury, but the midfielder will still be on the sidelines this weekend.
Speculation in the media this week has claimed that Wilshere is stepping up his recovery from a fibula fracture and is targetting a possible return to the first team within the next two weeks.
However, when quizzed about this, the boss insisted that Jack has ‘no chance’ of returning before the end of the month. We’ll have to wait and see….Arsene has been known to tell the odd white lie to the press now and then.
The final update was regarding the fitness of midfielder Rosicky. The Czech star hasn’t featured this season due to a serious knee injury but it looks as though he could be closing in on a comeback as Arsene says he’s now running again outside. However, Rosicky still isn’t expected back in the first team set-up until the end of January.
The good news from Arsene was that we didn’t suffer any fresh injuries in midweek so he’ll be taking the same squad with him to Villa Park on Sunday.
Here is what the boss has had to say:
on team news…
We came back Thursday morning, so we will see the players today. We have no injuries after the game.
on Alexis and Mikel Arteta…
[They are] short-term injuries, neither will be available for Sunday. No Arteta and no Alexis - who is the shortest one. The others will be [available] after Christmas.
on Jack Wilshere…
If you ask me if he will be fit before the end of December, no chance.
on Tomas Rosicky…
He is quite positive. He is running outside but not ready yet. End of January