- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Spaniard confirms contract talks with Arsenal
Nacho Monreal has confirmed he is in talks with Arsenal over a new contract and is keen to commit his long-term future to the club.
The Spanish full-back has developed into one of our most important first team players over the past 12 months with the reliable defender cementing his place ahead of Kieran Gibbs in Arsene Wenger’s starting eleven.
The 29-year-old’s current deal is due to expire at the end of the season – although Arsenal are expected to activate an option to automatically extend it by a further 12 months so there is little chance he’ll be going anywhere next summer.
However, it looks like we’re keen to tie Monreal down to a new longer term deal as the defender has confirmed he’s in talks over an extension and is keen to commit his long-term future to the Emirates.
He’s quoted as saying to talkSPORT:
‘We are talking [with the club], we need to talk and reach an agreement. I wish that to happen. Of course I’d like to stay here,’
There have been constant rumours suggesting he could head back to Spain with the likes of Athletic Bilbao strongly linked, but judging on his comments above, Nacho wants to stay with Arsenal.
Let’s hope an agreement is found soon as he deserves his new deal. He’s been outstanding since dislodging Gibbs and is now firmly established as our first choice left-back.