- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
Arsenal to battle Man Utd for ‘new Mesut Ozil’ – reports
According to a report in the Mirror, Arsenal are ready to battle-it-out with Manchester United over the signing of Bayer Leverkusen attacker Hakan Calhanoglu this winter.
Arsene Wenger came under increasing criticism during the summer after failing to sign a single outfield player with goalkeeper Petr Cech our only significant addition to the squad.
However, the newspapers seem to think the boss will look to rectify this when the transfer window reopens in January and it looks like he’s ready to strengthen our attack.
The Mirror are carrying a report today that claims Arsenal are showing a keen interest in Bayer Leverkusen playmaker Hakan Calhanoglu – who has been dubbed as ‘the new Mesut Ozil’.
Calhanoglu has emerged as one of the top young talents in the Bundesliga over the past 12 months and he’s now being tipped to make a big-money move this winter with Arsenal understood to be in the race for his signature.
However, we’re going to face some stiff competition as the paper suggests that as well as Man Utd, the likes of Barcelona and AC Milan are also thought to be keen on the Turkish international.
We’ll have to see whether Wenger decides to follow up his interest with a formal bid but although Calhanoglu looks to be a real talent, I’m not sure he’s the type of player we really need in January.
For me, we should be concentrating our efforts on signing another defensive midfielder and/or a world class striker. Calhanoglu is an attacking midfielder and we have plenty of those in the squad already.