- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal: Ozil Likely To Pen New Deal, Midfielder To Arrive In Summer
According to the Mirror, Mesut Ozil is likely to sign a new deal at Arsenal while a new defensive midfielder is expected to be signed next summer.
Ozil still has just under three years remaining on the contract that he signed when he joined from Real Madrid but it appears the club are keen to reward him with a new deal.
The newspaper says that Arsene Wenger is continuing his review of first-team contracts and Ozil is the next in-line to receive an extension while Nacho Monreal has also been offered a new three-year contract.
There has been speculation linking the German international with a shock move to Fenerbache but the Mirror claim he is happy at the Emirates and is ‘likely’ to pen a new deal once it’s put on the table.
Ozil endured something of a difficult start to life in North London but he’s much more settled now and he’s performing at a high level much more consistently, so it will be great to see him commit his long-term future to the club.
Two players who are coming to an end of their careers at Arsenal are Mikel Arteta and Mathieu Flamini with both in the final year of their deals, and the Mirror claim a new defensive midfielder will finally be signed at the end of the season.
I personally don’t think Arteta is capable of playing at the highest level anymore as his legs are completely gone so hopefully Arsene does the right thing and releases him when his contract expires in June.
Flamini has fallen out-of-favour this season and despite his heroics against Tottenham last night, he too is likely to leave the club next summer meaning we’ll have to bring in at least one new holding midfielder.
Who knows who the boss will go for but let’s pray we are ambitious and go for an established name to compete with Francis Coquelin next season.