- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
World class hitman wanted £40m Arsenal move – reports
The Benzema-to-Arsenal saga continues to rumble on with the Daily Mail now claiming that the Real Madrid striker wanted to make the move to the Emirates but was prevented from doing so by Florentino Perez.
Benzema was strongly linked with a move to Arsenal during the summer with several so-called In The Know’s claiming we were close to striking a deal.
Reports back in late July suggested that Arsene Wenger was confident he’d persuaded the striker to join Arsenal after holding personal talks with the player over the telephone.
In the end, a deal failed to materialise and fans were once again left frustrated in the transfer market as the window closed last month with Arsenal the only club in Europe’s top five league not to sign an outfield player.
However, it looks like we were indeed close to bagging Benzema as the Mirror are citing a report from the Daily Mail that claims the 27-year-old DID want to join Arsenal but a £40m deal was blocked by Madrid president Perez.
The Real supremo is a huge fan of Benzema’s and it appears this played a key part in the break-down of his potential move to North London.
Obviously most fans would have loved to have seen Benzema come to Arsenal as he would have made a huge difference to our team but sadly I think we’ve now missed the boat.
There were doubts over his place in the Madrid team in the summer following the arrival of Rafa Benitez as manager which would no doubt have contributed to the strikers apparent willingness to join Arsenal.
However, he seems settled now and has already scored three La Liga goals, with the Frenchman playing regularly following the long-term injury to James Rodriguez.
No doubt the rumours will probably start up again in January but I think we missed our chance to sign Benzema in the summer.