- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
Arsenal open early talks over January deal for €50m star – reports
Arsenal have opened preliminary talks with Real Madrid over an audacious January move for playmaker Isco, according to reports.
Arsene Wenger had a summer to forget in the transfer market after failing to land any of his prime targets to leave fans frustrated at the lack of activity.
We’ve made a solid start to the season but it appears the boss is already thinking ahead to the winter window and has his eye on a stunning swoop for Isco.
The Spanish playmaker was strongly linked with a move to the Emirates during the summer and the Mirror are citing a report from the Express that claims we’ve now made contact with Madrid to discuss a potential January deal.
Isco has struggled to hold down a regular first team place following his move to the Bernabeu from Malaga in 2013 and it’s led to speculation he could be on the move.
The 23-year-old is set for a more prominent role over the coming weeks while James Rodriguez is injured but he’s expected to return to the bench when the Colombian is fit again and it looks like Arsene is hoping to lure him away with the promise of more regular first team action.
I personally don’t think Madrid will even consider selling mid-season but the Express seem to suggest the La Liga giants will consider cashing-in for €50m – which equates to around £36.5m.
Obviously Isco is a supreme talent and I’d love to see him in the famous Red & White but should we really be spending that kind of money on another playmaker? It’s hardly the position we need to strengthen as a matter of urgency, is it?
I’d sooner see the boss use that money to sign a world class striker or another defensive midfielder as I think signing Isco would be a luxury we simply can not afford right now.
Anyway, I think talk of a January deal is premature and would be shocked if Madrid were interested in selling the player this winter, so we’ll probably have to wait until at least the summer if Arsene does want to sign him.