- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
Arsenal star to face Chelsea despite being involved in car crash
According to the Mirror, Per Mertesacker is expected to be fit to face Chelsea on Saturday despite being involved in a car crash on the M1 motorway on Monday.
Mertesacker is understood to have been left ‘shaken but unhurt’ after his car skidded on water as he drove home from training yesterday.
The newspaper claims Per crashed in to the central reservation on the M1 motorway after losing control during torrential rain.
A witness to the crash told the Mirror:
“Per was sitting looking shaken alongside cops on M1 near the Bricket Wood/Watford turnoff after a car crash.”
A club insider then confirmed the news to the paper but insists it was a minor incident and Per will be able to take part in training today.
“Per had an accident after he left training this morning [MON] when he went onto the M1 returning home.” a club source told the Mirror
“The car aquaplaned into the crash area on the central reservation.
“He was shaken up but not injured. No other vehicles were involved and there was no one else in his car.
“It’s not a big deal. Per is fine and ready to return to training.”
So it sounds like Mertesacker had a lucky escape and thankfully nobody was hurt because that could have ended very badly had another car been near-by when he hit the central reservation.
Per has missed our last three matches with a nasty virus but is back in training and the Mirror claim that while he’s not expected to play any part against Dinamo Zagreb tomorrow night, he will be involved against Chelsea on Saturday.
I’d personally be a little surprised, and disappointed, if Arsene Wenger brings Per straight back in this weekend as Gabriel has been outstanding in his absence.