- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
World Class Hitman Speaks Out On Big-Money Arsenal Move
Karim Benzema claims he was never close to joining Arsenal in the summer and insists he’s happy to remain at Real Madrid for the foreseeable future.
The French international was strongly linked with a move to the Emirates during the summer transfer window with several so-called ITK’s claiming a deal was close.
We had journalists from all over the globe saying Arsene Wenger was pushing hard to sign the 27-year-old and Arsenal shareholder Piers Morgan and BT Sport presenter Jake Humphrey both claimed at one point that we were closing in on a big-money deal.
talkSPORT even reported in mid-August that we’d had a £48m bid accepted by Madrid, so it’s easy to understand why Arsenal fans were a little disappointed when Benzema failed to arrive before last weeks deadline.
However, the striker has now rubbished suggestions he was close to joining Arsenal and insists he doesn’t want to leave Madrid.
He’s quoted as saying in the Daily Mail:
‘There was nothing in the talk of a transfer away from Madrid.
‘I’m happy at my current club, it’s the best in the world. I’ll continue to work here and be happy where I am.’
So it was all paper talk then? I personally don’t buy that. I actually do think we came close to luring Benzema away from the Bernabeu but things just didn’t work out for whatever reason.
He’s never going to admit it, and he’s always going to come out and pledge his loyalty to Madrid, but I think he did contemplate leaving as it looks as though his first team place is under threat following the arrival of Rafa Benitez as manager.
If Benzema finds himself on the bench more often than not during the first half of the season, don’t be surprised if the Arsenal rumours crop up again come January….