- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal made late deadline day move for €30m-rated hitman
So the summer transfer window has closed and it’s safe to say it was a huge disappointment for Arsenal with Arsene Wenger failing to bring in any further new additions on deadline day.
It does appear the boss was actively trying to bring in a new striker though as Gianluca Di Marzio claims we made a last ditch attempt to sign Juventus hitman Simeone Zaza.
The Italian journalist says we first made contact with Zaza’s agent on Tuesday morning to discuss a move to the Emirates before opening talks with Juve over a potential deal.
However, the Serie A champions weren’t keen on losing the 24-year-old at such a late stage as the Italian transfer window was already closed meaning they couldn’t bring in a replacement.
Therefore, it’s claimed that Juventus quoted us €30m (£22m) to try and deter us from pursuing a deal. This strategy worked as Arsene balked at the valuation and pulled out of negotiations leaving us without a new striker.
I suppose this is what you get for leaving it so late in the window to try and do your business. Scrambling around on deadline day is something I will never understand and it’s a risk that backfired for Wenger this year.
Zaza would have been a solid acquisition but he’s not the world class striker we so desperately needed to make us genuine title challengers. We might get lucky with injuries [for once] but if Olivier Giroud or Francis Coquelin get ruled out for any length of time, we’re in big trouble…..