- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal eye late swoop for Premier League’s top goal scorer
We’re approaching the final stages of the transfer window and it looks like Arsene Wenger may be getting desperate as the Daily Star are reporting that Arsenal are showing a keen interest in signing Leicester City forward Riyad Mahrez.
The boss has been widely expected to sign another striker this summer and he once again reiterated after our 1-0 win over Newcastle United on Saturday that the club were working hard to bring in another goalscorer.
The Daily Star quote Arsene as saying:
“I can’t predict what will happen.
“I am optimistic and we’re working on it.
“We have Danny Welbeck and Jack Wilshere out and you always want to add goalscorers to your squad.”
We’ve been strongly linked with big-money moves for the likes of Karim Benzema and Edinson Cavani but with those deals now looking highly unlikely it appears the boss has had to turn his attention to other targets.
The Daily Star claim that Arsenal are now eyeing a late move for Leicester City attacker Riyad Mahrez with Arsene understood to regard the Algerian international as one of the most exciting talents in English football.
The 24-year-old – who can play out wide or through the middle – has started the new season in superb fashion and is currently the joint top goalscorer in the division having scored four goals in four games.
The likes of Roma and Villarreal have also been linked with a £5m move, so we would face some stiff competition if we did make our interest formal, but the newspaper says that Leicester are determined to hang on to him.
If we could snap him up for around £5m it would be a decent piece of business as Mahrez is certainly an exciting prospect but he’s not the established, world class striker we need to turn us into genuine title challengers.
To compete with the likes of Man City this season, we need a Benzema or a Cavani, otherwise we’ll be battling for second spot. So let’s hope Arsene can pull something out the bag…