- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Striker: Arsenal made contact with my agent
Cameroon striker Clinton N’Jie claims Arsenal held talks with his agent before he completed a move to Tottenham last week.
Arsene Wenger has been linked with a number of strikers in recent weeks but N’Jie was a surprise name that cropped up in the newspapers earlier this month.
While Spurs were understood to be trying to thrash out a deal with Lyon, it was claimed that Arsenal had made a late move to try and derail our North London rivals deal.
Most dismissed it as nothing more than media speculation. However, it appears there may have been more to it as the player himself has now claimed that we made contact with his agent.
N’Jie goes on to hint that we made our move too late as he’d already made up his mind to move to White Hart Lane. The 21-year-old is quoted as saying in the Mirror:
“I’ve never been afraid that my transfer to Tottenham would not materialise.
“I never had the leaders of Arsenal on the phone, they only contacted my agent. My choice was made, I was determined to join Tottenham.”
So it looks like we did make at least an enquiry for his services before the youngster was unveilled as a Spurs player on Saturday morning, but it’s still unclear exactly how interested we were.
I’m sure Arsene makes enquiries for lots of players, but we only make formal moves for very few, so the predictable ‘N’Jie turns down Arsenal for Tottenham’ headlines are more than a little far-fetched.
He’s better off at Tottenham anyway as he’ll get a few games over there. He’d have been lucky to make the bench at Arsenal….