- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Eye Move For €35m Defender, Talks Already Taken Place
The Telegraph are carrying a report today that claims Arsenal are back in for Roma defender Alessio Romagnoli with his proposed move to AC Milan in doubt.
Most of the transfer rumours these days are linking us with a striker but it’s also been suggested that Arsene Wenger is keen to bring in another centre-back this summer.
Romagnoli was strongly linked with a move to North London last month when the Metro reported that Roma sporting director Walter Sabatini flew-in to London to hold face-to-face talks over a possible deal.
Things went a little quiet after that and it appeared the 20-year-old was heading to AC Milan but the Telegraph are reporting that the proposed deal is in doubt as the two clubs are struggling to agree a fee.
The paper says that Milan are only willing to pay €28m (£20m) while Roma are demanding a fee closer to €35m (£25m), and this stand-off has supposedly opened the door for Arsenal to renew their pursuit.
We’ll have to wait and see whether Arsene now decides to formalise his interest but I’d personally be shocked if the boss splashed around £25m on an unproven centre-back when we have other areas of the squad that need addressing.
Romagnoli looks to be a fine talent and was impressive while on loan at Smapdoria last season, but is he going to be the difference in us winning the league this year? No. He’ll be a fourth-choice centre-back who’ll play on the odd occasion and in the cups, maybe.
We should save our money and put all our funds into a trying to buy a world class striker who’s goals will win us the title or failing that, a top class defensive midfielder who can compete with Coquelin.
That’s just my opinion and Arsene may see things differently, but I’d still be surprised if anything came of these Romagnoli rumours if his asking price is anywhere near £25m. We shall see…