- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Want World Class Midfielder – Can Wenger Pull It Off?
Some interesting reports coming out of Spain with Sport claiming that Arsenal are looking to pull of a shock swoop on Barcelona for Sergio Busquets.
We’ve been linked with a number of holding midfielders this summer but it appeared Arsene Wenger was content with his current options after passing up on the opportunity to sign the likes of Morgan Schneiderlin, Geoffrey Kondogbia and Arturo Vidal.
The boss has suggested recently that he’s prepared to splash the cash if he can find the right player, but many people assumed he was talking about buying a striker – more specifically Karim Benzema.
However, Sport claim that Wenger is still very-much looking to bring in a defensive midfielder and suggest that Busquets is top of the list of targets he’s given to the clubs board this summer.
No formal offer or talks have taken place as yet but the Spanish outlet seem to think that Arsenal are keen to try and lure the 27-year-old away from the Nou Camp.
Busquets is arguably the most complete holding midfielder in Europe and he’d probably be the ideal signing for us. He’s tall, strong, mobile, an excellent passer and is a winner. He’s won practically everything there is to win in football.
So obviously the Spanish international would be a sensational signing if we could somehow pull it off, but I just don’t think it’s realistic at all.
The midfielder only recently signed a new deal tying him to the Nou Camp until 2019 and he seems more than happy where he is. Barca have also shown no sign they want to sell and we probably couldn’t afford him even if they did decide to cash-in.
So as exciting as it is to read about us being interested in world class players, I think there is virtually no chance anything will come of these Busquets rumours.
It remains to be seen if we’ll end up signing another holding player but if we don’t, I think we’ll end up regretting not signing Schneiderlin when we had the chance.