- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
Arsenal Favourites Ahead Of Man Utd To Sign €12m Striker – Reports
According to the Independent, Arsenal are now favourites ahead of Manchester United and Real Madrid to sign Juventus hitman Fernando Llorente this summer.
Arsene Wenger has been strongly tipped to bring in another striker this summer and although there’s been plenty of talk about record breaking moves for the likes of Karim Benzema, it appears we may have a back-up plan in mind.
The Independent are citing a report from Italian outlet TuttoSport that claims we’re now in pole position to land Spanish international Fernando Llorente.
The 30-year-old is facing an uncertain future at Juventus after they signed Pablo Dybala and he’s been linked with moves to both Madrid and United in recent weeks.
However, TuttoSport suggest Arsenal are now favourites to sign the target-man and are willing meet Juve’s supposed €12m (£8.5m) asking price, BUT only if we’re told there is no chance of signing Karim Benzema this summer.
So it looks like Arsene is still hoping to land his No.1 target but if Madrid refuse to sell, then we’ll turn our attention to Llorente.
How about this….we let Madrid have Llorente, and they then sell us Benzema? That sounds a much better idea to me!
Llorente is a decent striker but I don’t think he’s a big upgrade on Giroud, if at all, so I’d rather we went all out and tried to sign Benzema. If that doesn’t work out, then I’d even prefer we went for someone like Alexander Lacazette or Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
To me, Llorente would be a short-term fix and he wouldn’t be the world class striker we need to make us genuine title challengers, so I’d pass on this opportunity.