- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
- 6 Arsenal players named in the Champions League Team of the Week
- [Tweets] Ozil, Ox & more: Arsenal players celebrate after CL win
- [Video] Mesut Ozil arrives home with his hat-trick match ball
- Ratings: Hat-trick hero Ozil shines as Arsenal thrash Ludogorets
- Video: Arsenal 6-0 Ludogorets: Ozil bags hat-trick in rout
- Teams: Arsenal v Ludogorets: Gibbs & Coquelin start
- [Tweet] Arsenal ace ‘can’t wait’ to play as he closes in on comeback
Arsenal Going All-Out For €57m Hitman After Wenger Rules Out Higuain
According to a report by the Express, Arsenal are going all out to try and sign Karim Benzema this summer after Arsene Wenger supposedly ruled out signing Gonzalo Higuain.
The boss is expected to try and bring in a top class striker before the window closes and Benzema and Higuain are just two names who’ve been linked in recent weeks.
Benzema has long been on our radar while we came close to signing Higuain when he left Real Madrid back in 2013 and we’ve been tipped to renew our interest this summer after Napoli failed to qualify for the Champions League.
However, the Express claim that Wenger has now ruled out making a move for the Argentinean international as he’s prepared to go all-out with his attempts to land Benzema in a potential €57m (£40m) deal.
The story actually originates from the Daily Mail, and while they believe that Arsene is ready to wait until the final days of the transfer window to land the Frenchman, apparently he’s not overly optimistic that Madrid will agree to sell.
Benzema is facing something of an uncertain future at the Bernabeu as Rafa Benitez is experimenting with Gareth Bale and Cristiano Ronaldo up front leaving the 27-year-on the bench – which isn’t ideal, especially considering the European championships are coming up next summer.
It’s led to intense speculation that the striker may look for a move during the closing stages of the summer and Spanish outlet El Confidential claim that Wenger has already held talks with the player about a move to Arsenal.
The good news is that Benzema apparently didn’t rule out the possibility of joining us, but the bad news is the Express claim he’s a firm favourite with Madrid chief Florentino Perez so it highly unlikely to be sold.
We’ll have to just wait and see how everything develops but it’s a brave move if the boss is throwing all his eggs in one basket and waiting for Benzema. If it comes off, we’ve got a great chance of pushing for the title. If we miss out and go with the strikers we’ve got, I think second is the best we can hope for next season.