- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal Eye Move For Former Real Madrid Defender
Arsenal continue to be linked with centre-backs in the newspapers and the latest name to add to the list is that of Zenit St Petersburg star Ezequiel Garay.
According to the Express, Arsenal are showing a keen interest in the Argentinean international this summer as Arsene Wenger apparently looks to strengthen his options at the back.
We aren’t the only Premier League team reportedly in the running as the paper suggests that long-term admirers Manchester United could also make a move for Garay if they fail to land either Sergio Ramos or Nicolas Otamendi.
However, it’s Arsenal supposed interest that I’m focusing on and I personally have no idea why we’d be looking at a player like Garay this summer.
The Express suggest that Arsene will consider a move for the Argentine if Gabriel fails to impress during pre-season, but I’d be hugely surprised if that was to be the case.
Arsene just isn’t the type of manager to make rash decisions like that based on a few games in pre-season. I think Gabriel is going to play a big part for us this season, which is why I’m bemused we’re being linked with the likes of Garay.
If we are to sign a centre-back this summer, I’d expect it to be a youngster who’ll replace Per Mertesacker in a couple of years. Not a 28-year-old who’s played for the likes of Real Madrid and will expect regular first team football.
So I think the Express’s report is nothing more than idle speculation and I’d be shocked if anything ever came of these links with Garay….