- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Set To Sign Highly-Rated Brazilian Midfielder – Reports
According to reports in Brazil, Arsenal are set to sign highly-rated defensive midfielder Renan from Brazilian club Avai.
Renan has emerged as one of the hottest young properties in South America after breaking into the Avai first team squad and has made 12 appearances so far this season.
It appears his potential has caught the eye of Arsenal scouts as the Metro are citing reports coming out of Brazil which claim that we’re set to snap-up the highly-rated youngster.
Full name Renan Martins Pereira, the 17-year-old is known for his ability to dictate play from deep-lying positions so he could be viewed as a long-term successor to Mikel Arteta – who’s recently signed a new one-year deal.
The Metro suggest that Arsenal will only have to pay a small amount of training compensation to Avai given the players age, so it sounds like we’ll be taking a calculated gamble if we do end up completing a deal.
I don’t for one minute think that Renan will be anywhere near the first team for a few years at least and he’ll probably be sent out on loan like many of the other South American youngsters we’ve signed over the years.
He won’t be ready for first team football just yet but there’s also the small matter of a work permit to worry about, but hopefully he turns out to be more ‘Gilberto’ than ‘Denilson’ if we do sign Renan this summer.