- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal Open Talks With Agent As Wenger Eyes Surprise Addition
According to Gazzetta Dello Sport, Arsenal have opened talks with the agent of Kostas Manolas about a potential move this summer but AS Roma are determined to hang on to the defender.
Manolas is a name many Gooners will be familiar with as he was strongly linked with a move to the Emirates last summer and the Express even reported back in August that he had flown to London to undergo a medical.
The proposed move fell through in the end and the Greek international signed for Roma in an £11m deal from Olympiacos, and he’s continued to impress in the middle of defence in Serie A.
It looks like Arsene Wenger has renewed his interest in the 24-year-old as Gazetta dello Sport claim that we’ve made contact with his agent Mino Raiola to ask about his availability.
However, the chances of a deal look slim as the paper says that Roma consider the centre-back as indispensable and have no intention of selling this summer.
Obviously that stance can change and they might just be trying to increase his price-tag, but I’m still a little surprised by the amount of centre-backs we’re being linked with in recent weeks.
If this report is accurate, then Arsene is clearly in the market for a central defender but I wasn’t expecting another one to be signed this summer after we brought it Gabriel in January.
We’ve now got Koscielny, Mertesacker, Chambers and Gabriel as centre-back options for this coming season so if we do bring someone else in, i’d expect one of that four to leave.
The most obvious candidate would be Per so if we do sign Manolas – or any other central defender – then maybe the BFG is heading back to Germany.
Let’s see how things go but it doesn’t look like Manolas is an option anyway unless Roma’s stance changes, so the boss will have to look elsewhere…