- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
- Team News: Arsene Wenger offers update on Ramsey & Giroud
- Arsenal boss confirms defender could leave in January
- 4-2-3-1 v Boro: Iwobi & Cazorla out? My Arsenal starting XI
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury concern + Sanchez update
Arsenal Confirm Midfielder Has Signed New Contract
Arsenal have finally confirmed that Mikel Arteta has signed a new one-year contract extension keeping him at the club until 2016.
Arteta’s last deal expired at the end of June and there had been much speculation over his future with some claiming he could head back to Spain to see out his career while there were suggestions he may be forced to call it a day due to chronic calf problems.
Arsene expressed his delight that the club captain has committed his future and hinted that the 33-year-old’s experience played a key part in him staying, telling the clubs website:
“He will stay with us for one more year because he has extended his contract,” Wenger said
“He’s one of the leaders in the club because he’s the captain of the team. I expect him to contribute much more than last season but he also faces a battle.
“With the number of games we have ahead, we could use his experience, his desire and his quality as it will be vital for next season.”
I’m all for keeping Arteta around the club as a fringe player as he’s excellent to have in the dressing room but I have my doubts how much playing time he should get.
His legs were clearly gone last year so if this extension means we will no longer be bringing in another holding midfielder, I think it’s a huge mistake.