- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
Arsenal Close In On €28m Deal For Man Utd Target – Reports
There are further reports doing the rounds today suggesting that Arsenal are closing in on a €28m deal to sign Portugal U-21 star William Carvalho ahead of rivals Manchester United.
Speculation earlier this week claimed that Arsene Wenger had renewed his interest in Carvalho after going cold on potential deals for Morgan Schneiderlin and Arturo Vidal.
The Telegraph now suggest that the boss has stepped-up his interest after sending scouts to watch the 23-year-old in action during Portugal’s European U-21 Championship final defeat to Sweden.
Carvalho impressed again in the centre of the park and despite missing the crucial spot-kick in the penalty shoot-out defeat, the Sporting Lisbon star was named ‘Player of the Tournament’.
The newspaper says that United also had scouts in the stands to watch Carvalho but with Louis van Gaal focussing his efforts on landing Schneiderlin, the Telegraph believe that Arsenal are in pole position to sign the Portuguese youngster and a €28m (£19.8m) deal is now looking increasingly likely.
Usually this would be exciting news but unfortunately the Telegraph cite the Daily Star as their source, and after digging a little deeper it appears the story originates from Portuguese paper O Jogo – who simply claim that scouts from Arsenal and United were at the final in midweek.
So although it appears we are showing an interest in signing Carvalho, the papers seem to be jumping the gun a little by suggesting a deal is on the cards.
We’ll have to see how things develop over the coming weeks but I have a feeling Arsene is going to take his time and assess his current options in pre-season before making any further additions in midfield.
However, I do think we’ll eventually bring someone in, it’s just a case of who the boss ends up going for.
I’ve said for weeks that my preferred option would be Schneiderlin but it looks like Arsene is having second thoughts on the Southampton star and he could now be off to United.
That could work out in our favour if we decide to go for Carvalho though, and the Portuguese youngster would certainly be an exciting signing if we could pull it off.
Let’s see what happens…..