- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Jack Wilshere Picks Fabregas, Rooney & Gerrard In His Ultimate XI
Midfielder Jack Wilshere has risked the wrath of Arsenal fans after naming the likes of Ashley Cole, Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri in his ultimate XI.
Jack’s played with some world class players in his time at both club and international level so it was interesting to see who he chose when asked by Arsenal’s YouTube channel to name the all-time ultimate XI that he’s played with.
Only three of the current squad made the cut with Laurent Koscielny, Santi Cazorla and Alexis Sanchez all being named but Jack has risked angering fans after picking several contentious players.
Firstly, he opted to go with the snake himself Cesc Fabregas over Mesut Ozil, calling the Chelsea midfielder ‘a role model’ and someone he looked up to.
Wilshere also picked Ashley Cole and Bacary Sagna in his team, despite their acrimonious departures from the club. I have less issue with these picks though as in their prime, they were both top class full-backs and Jack had little option but to choose them.
However, surely he could have thought of someone better than Samir Nasri!? Jack described the Frenchman as ‘different class’ in reference to the 2010/11 campaign – which was pretty-much the only decent season he’s had.
I’ll hold my hands up and say Samir was excellent that year but sadly he used it to force a move to Man City and forever consign himself to the pits of hell, so he should be nowhere near Jack’s ultimate XI.
Joe Hart is a sensible pick as we’ve hardly offered much competition at Arsenal while John Terry, as loathsome as he is as a person, is a top class centre-back. Going with Steven Gerrard over Aaron Ramsey was a little disappointing but I understand why Jack did it.
Rooney’s inclusion is a funny one. I love it because it means van Persie was excluded but I think Jack should have picked Thierry Henry. He’s played with him a few times, and trained with him too, so that should have been enough for the ‘King’ to have got the nod in my book!
In the end, Jack went with 4 players from England and 6 from his Arsenal days – with Cole counting for both club and country. This is how the team looks on paper and you can watch the video below: