- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
Arsenal Eye Move For Sergio Ramos As Agent Questions Future
According to the Express newspaper, Arsenal are eyeing an audacious move for Sergio Ramos after his agent cast doubt over the defenders long-term future at Real Madrid.
Ramos has been a permanent fixture at Madrid for ten years after joining the club from Sevilla and has won a whole host of honours including 3 La Liga’s and the Champions League.
But the centre-back has been linked with a move away from the Bernabeu in recent months as talks over a new deal have stalled with the 29-year-old reportedly demanding a huge pay rise to £10m per season.
Madrid aren’t prepared to match those demands and the defenders agent Rene Ramos has confirmed they are still waiting to hear back from the club, while he also cast doubt over the players long-term future at the Spanish giants.
“For now he still has two years of contract. We await the call of the club but Real Madrid have not called me.
“For now there are no talks. Perhaps it is best if he doesn’t finish his career at Real Madrid but at another club. We never know.
“Football is changing so fast – you must enjoy the moment.” Rene Ramos is quoted as saying by the Express
The Express claim that Arsenal are among the clubs who are keeping a close eye on Ramos’s situation and are ready to offer him a new challenge in England but we’ll face competition from Manchester United – who are supposedly ready to test the water with a £20m bid.
Who knows whether the newspaper’s information is accurate or not but I’d personally be surprised if Arsene Wenger spent big on a centre-back this summer, unless Per Mertesacker decides to head back to Germany.
Even if Arsenal are interested in Ramos, I suspect his agent is just using the media to try and force Madrid into contract extension talks and I don’t think there’s any chance he’ll be leaving the Bernabeu any time soon.
Gabriel is going to play a big part next season and I think he’ll be first choice sooner rather than later, and Koscielny is one of the best centre-back’s in the league.
So while it’s nice to be linked with world class players, I’m not getting too excited about these links with Ramos. He’s a Madrid legend, will almost certainly stay this summer and will probably end up signing a new deal.