- Team News: Wenger on Walcott, Monreal, Cazorla, Ramsey & more
- Arsenal overlooked by Sky as date confirmed for EFL Cup clash
- [Photos] Arsenal injury doubt trains today but no sign of key duo
- Arsene Wenger: 3 key Arsenal players could miss Sunderland game
- Arsenal boss confirms huge injury blow but midfielder returns
- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
Arsenal Linked With €14m Move For Unsettled Midfielder
A familiar name is once again being linked with a move to Arsenal with reports suggesting we’re ready to battle Liverpool and Crystal Palace for Yohan Cabaye’s signature.
I’m sure most Arsenal fans will remember we’ve been strongly linked with Cabaye in the past and reportedly saw a £10m bid rejected by Newcastle in the summer of 2013.
The midfielder eventually made a £20m move to Paris Saint-Germain in January 2014 but his time in France hasn’t gone according to plan as he’s struggled to hold down a regular place.
After playing just 961 minutes of Ligue 1 football last season, the 29-year-old is now looking for a return to the Premier League. He told reporters:
“I know that if I stay, it won’t matter what I do, things won’t change.
“You know, people criticised me when I left for Newcastle. Because I would not be playing the Champions League with Lille and we saw the result: I played in Euro 2012 and in the 2014 World Cup. I am not worried.
“Sometimes, it is better to take steps back in order to start afresh and to find enjoyment again.
“I really enjoyed myself in England, it is a league that corresponds well with me. Today, I am at PSG.
“Of course, I would have liked for things to work out differently, the club too, but we must consider reality.
“If I have the chance to return to England, I hope that everyone will be clever enough in order for things to work out. There could of course be other destinations.”
It hasn’t taken the papers long to link Arsenal’s name with the French international, with the Daily Star claiming we’re now in a three-way battle with Liverpool and Crystal Palace to sign Cabaye this summer.
Paris Saint-Germain won’t stand in the players way if he wants to leave and he’s supposedly available for around €14m – which equates to about £10m.
Arsene Wenger is believed to be in the market for another midfielder this summer but despite these predictable reports, I’d be shocked if we ended up signing Cabaye.
Our team has evolved since two years ago when we were in for him and we’re now needing a different type of player. Coquelin has proven how important a proper defensive midfielder is so I don’t see Arsene reverting back to the ‘Arteta type’ player in front of the back-four.
Schneiderlin or Kondogbia would be my choice, but I don’t see anything coming of these fresh links to Cabaye…