- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Arsenal ‘Submit Offer’ For German Star, Player Keen On PL Move
According to reports today, Arsenal have submitted an offer for Schalke defender Benedikt Howedes and the player has admitted he’s keen on a move to the Premier League.
Howedes is a name that’s been linked to Arsenal in the past with Arsene Wenger reportedly trying to sign the German international during last summers transfer window.
It seems the boss has renewed his interest as reports coming out of the German press today claim that Arsenal have now submitted a formal offer for the 27-year-old defender.
The news, which comes from outlet Kicker, suggests that Manchester United are also showing a keen interest in the World Cup winner, but no official move has been made by Louis van Gaal as yet.
Howedes has been at Schalke his entire professional career having joined the clubs youth system as a teenager back in 2001 but he’s confirmed that he’d be open for a new challenge in the Premier League.
‘If I am to leave Schalke one day, I do not want to move clubs within the Bundeslia,’ said the player.
‘Schalke is too close to my heart to do so.
‘But a move abroad at a certain time would be work an experience. England would be my goal.’
It’s an interesting report as a centre-back wasn’t expected to be a priority for Wenger this summer so if we have made a move for Howedes, then perhaps Per Mertesacker could be on the way out.
With Gabriel expected to push for a more regular starting spot next season there has been talk that the BFG could head back to his homeland to see-out the remaining years of his career, so maybe Howedes is viewed as a replacement.
However, the defender is predominately a centre-back but is also capable of playing at left-back, so there is a chance Arsene is eyeing him to replace Nacho Monreal – who’s been strongly linked with a return to Spain.
Either way, if someone like Per or Nacho do leave then Howedes would be an excellent player to bring in.