- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
32-Goal Hitman Agrees Terms Over Potential €35m Arsenal Move
Some interesting news has been circulating today claiming that Jackson Martinez has agreed terms with Arsenal ahead of a potential €35m move from Porto this summer.
Martinez has been linked with a move to the Emirates constantly during recent transfer windows but it appears a deal could finally be on the cards.
According to Portuguese newspaper Jornal di Noticias [see below], Martinez has reached an ‘agreement in principal’ with Arsenal ahead of a switch this summer.
The paper claims that there is no agreement in place with Porto yet, but the Portuguese giants are resigned to losing the striker and he’s understood to have said his goodbyes after last night’s 2-0 win over Penafiel.
Martinez renewed his contract last year but as part of the deal, his buy-out clause was reduced to €35m (£25m) and Porto are expected to demand that figure to sell the player this summer.
No doubt Arsene Wenger will try and negotiate a better deal but if we have agreed terms with the player, then it’s a clear indication we’re serious about signing him.
The boss is a known fan and sparked transfer rumours after praising Martinez back in February, when he said:
‘Martinez has top physical strengths,’
‘Hugely efficient, he is the kind of player who can make room for himself in the box.
‘He could play in the Premier League because he has the body to make the difference. He uses it in a very intelligent way. Very short back lift and he’s a very good finisher.’
‘He’s on the list of many clubs, you know that. He will be the next big transfer who will give a big smile to Pinto da Costa [Porto's owner].’
Martinez has scored 32 goals and provided 7 assists in 42 appearances for Porto this season, so he’ll certainly bring an added goal threat if he does end up making the move to Arsenal.
I’ve said many times I think we need to bring in a top class finisher if we’re to challenge for the title next season and while I’d personally prefer to see either Benzema or Lacazette come in, Martinez would be a decent alternative.