- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
Arsenal Eye Danish International, Player Keen On Move
According to the Telegraph, Arsenal are eyeing a move for Leicester City goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel in case we fail to land Chelsea’s Petr Cech this summer.
Arsene Wenger is on the look-out for a new keeper after losing faith in Wojciech Szczesny – who is being tipped to leave at the end of the season having lost the No.1 shirt.
Cech is widely understood to be the bosses first choice target and there are suggestions that Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will let the 33-year-old choose his next destination after the long-serving ace confirmed he’ll be on the move this summer.
However, there are still fears within Arsenal that Jose Mourinho will block any deal with a direct rival so we’re lining-up alternative targets.
Among those on Wenger’s short-list is Schmeichel, with the Telegraph claiming that the boss is eyeing a potential move for the Leicester stopper.
Schmeichel has been a stand-out performer this season and has played a key role in Leicester’s recent revival as they look to avoid the drop.
The 28-year-old is contracted until 2018 and the Telegraph claims he’s content at the King Power Stadium. However, the paper suggests that he would be keen on a move if a club offering Champions League football came calling.
Obviously Arsenal fit that bill but it remains to be seen whether we’ll make our interest official and it appears that will be dependent on our pursuit of Cech.
Schmeichel is a Danish international and now established in the Premier League, but I’d still prefer to see us sign Cech and feel we should go all-out to land him. He’s world class and would be perfect for us.
I personally wouldn’t see Schmeichel as an upgrade on what we’ve already got and would only want him as a No.2 to Ospina – but he’s unlikely to accept being second choice so it’s difficult to see any deal happening anyway.