- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Arsenal Set To Win Race To Sign £8m Starlet
According to reports, Arsenal are in pole position to see-off competition from both Manchester clubs to sign Charlton starlet Joe Gomez.
The 17-year-old has emerged as one of the most highly-rated young defenders outside of the Premier League after enjoying his breakthrough season at The Valley that’s seen him rack up 23 first team appearances so far.
The youngster has largely been learning his trade as a right-back but it’s believed his long-term position will be in the middle of defence.
His potential has alerted some of England’s biggest clubs with Arsenal and Manchester City both strongly linked with a move for the player in recent months, while Manchester United are also understood to have made firm enquiries.
However, the Mirror claim that Arsenal are now firmly in pole position to snap up the highly-rated defender this summer and are closing in on an £8m deal.
Gomez is already an England under-19 international and is tipped to have a bright future but it appears we’re ready to use our strong relationship with Charlton to secure his signature.
If we do end up signing Gomez, I doubt the youngster will be pushing for a first team place for at least a couple of years but he sounds like an exciting young talent so hopefully we can get a deal over the line ahead of City and Utd.