- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Agree €30m Fee, Player Keen On Move – Reports
There are some interesting reports doing the rounds today claiming that Arsenal have agreed a €30m fee with Sporting Lisbon for midfielder William Carvalho.
We’ve long been linked with the Portuguese international and supposedly held lengthy negotiations with Sporting Lisbon last summer but couldn’t agree a deal as they refused to lower their £37m asking price.
However, our interest has remained and the Express are reporting today that after holding fresh talks with Sporting, we’ve finally agreed a deal believed to be worth €30m (£21.5m).
The Express quote the Telegraph as their source, but I think the original information came from a Portuguese newspaper, so fingers crossed there is some truth behind it all.
The likes of Chelsea and Manchester United are also understood to be interested, so this isn’t a ‘done deal’ just yet, but hopefully the fact we’ve made our move early means we’re firmly in the driving seat.
A new defensive midfielder is expected to be a priority for the boss this summer and we’ve been linked with a number of players including Morgan Schneiderlin, Ilkay Gundogan, Victor Wanyama and more recently Geoffrey Kondogbia.
However, it these reports prove accurate, then it seems Carvalho is now a key target and the Express claim he’s very-much keen on making the move to the Premier League.
I always thought Sporting’s asking price of over £30m was well over-priced but it would be a decent deal if we could snap him up for just over £21m as he’s got plenty of potential.
I’d still say that Schneiderlin or Kondogbia would be my preferred signings this summer but Carvalho would be a great alternative if we couldn’t do either of those deals.