- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal Face Battle To Land £8m England Starlet
According to reports today, Arsenal face a battle with Manchester City to sign £8m-rated Charlton Athletic defender Joe Gomez this summer.
The 17-year-old has emerged as one of the most highly-rated young defenders outside of the Premier League after enjoying his breakthrough season at The Valley that’s seen him rack up 17 first team appearances so far.
The teenager has been learning his trade as a right-back this season but it’s understood his long-term position will be as a central defender.
Gomez has already represented England at Under-19 level and was named in the UEFA team of the tournament of the European Under-17 Championships after leading his team to victory.
His potential has already alerted Arsenal with reports suggesting that Arsene Wenger is keen on bringing the youngster to the Emirates this summer with Charlton ready to cash-in at around £8m.
However, we now face some stiff competition as the Daily Mail claim that Manchester City have now thrown their hat into the ring and will go head-to-head with Arsenal over Gomez’s signature this summer.
Obviously City have the money to match us but hopefully we can use our excellent relationship with Charlton to our advantage during negotiations after sending Francis Coquelin on loan to the Championship side earlier this season, while we also did business with them for Carl Jenkinson in 2011.