- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Ratings: Giroud The Difference As Tired Arsenal Beat Newcastle 2-1
It was a typical game of two halves as Arsenal were forced to hold on to beat Newcastle 2-1 at St James’ Park this afternoon.
Olivier Giroud scored twice as we cruised to a 2-0 half-time lead but Newcastle were a different side after the break and we were rather fortunate to come away with all three points in the end as we looked knackered during the last 20 minutes.
Here are my ratings:
Ospina 7.5/10 – Could do nothing for the goal but made a great point blank save to keep it at 2-1 in the 64th minute and another with his legs late on.
Chambers 5/10 – Lost possession far too easily and was given a tough time in the second half.
Gabriel 7/10 – Looked calm and assured in the first half and did well to deal with the pressure after the break.
Koscielny 7/10 – Another solid display from Kos. Held things together when the pressure mounted.
Monreal 6/10 – His worst performance for a while. Struggled to cope with Cabella at times and was caught out for their goal.
Coquelin 7.5/10 – Made come excellent tackles and interceptions in the first half, but allowed Cabella to run off him to set up Newcastle’s goal.
Ramsey 7/10 – Fluffed a great chance in the 22nd minute when put through by Giroud but never stopped running all game as others tired.
Alexis 7/10 – Was lively in the opening 45 minutes when he didn’t give the hosts defence a minutes rest but faded after the break before being subbed.
Cazorla 7/10 – Another who tired badly in the second half but he made a vital contribution with his two deliveries leading to the goals.
Welbeck 6.5/10 – Missed two great first half chances but his pace was a threat and he worked hard.
Giroud 8/10 – Lovely improvised finish for the opener and used his strength to head home the second soon after. A real presence up front and it was needed to relieve the pressure at times.
Rosicky 6/10 – On to help us keep possession late on.
Flamini 5/10 – A nightmare waiting to happen.
So another huge win for us and we can sit back and enjoy tomorrow’s game when at least one of Man Utd or Liverpool will drop points. We head into the international break in excellent form, let’s hope we can pick up where we left off when the scousers come to the Emirates next month.