- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
- Preview: Arsenal v Boro, team news, line-up & prediction
- [Photos] Arsenal duo step-up injury comebacks in training today
- [Photos] Arsenal boost as injury doubt trains ahead of Boro game
- Arsene Wenger sets comeback date for forgotten Arsenal man
- Arsenal boss confirms fresh injury doubt for Middlesbrough game
Player Ratings As Arsenal Crash Out In Predictable Fashion
Arsenal crashed out of the Champions League in painful fashion once again after losing on away goals following a 2-0 win in Monaco on Tuesday night.
Goals from Olivier Giroud and Aaron Ramsey weren’t enough to overturn a disastrous 3-1 defeat in the first leg so we fail to qualify for the quarter finals for the fifth consecutive season.
Here are my ratings:
Ospina 6/10 – Barely saw the ball as Monaco offered so little threat.
Bellerin 6.5/10 – Always available down the right but his final ball was poor.
Mertesacker 6.5/10 – Another composed display but didn’t have to do too much actual defending tonight.
Koscielny 7/10 – Strong presence at the back and brought the ball out well in the second half.
Monreal 7/10 – Battling display from Nacho and played his part in setting up the second goal.
Coquelin 7/10 – Broke up play well but lucky not to be booked for a reckless challenge on Moutinho.
Cazorla 7/10 – Tidy in possession and kept things moving in midfield but didn’t really create too much in the final third.
Ozil 7/10 – Very good for much of the game and a lot of our play went through him, but his final ball was lacking.
Welbeck 7.5/10 – His pace caused a lot of problems in the first half and he set up the opening goal. Influence faded after the break.
Alexis 6.5/10 – Not at his best again. Held on to the ball for too long at times and looked frustrated. Harshly booked for ‘diving’.
Giroud 7/10 – Great finish on his right-foot to open the scoring. Took a late chance off Sanchez’s head which could have made it 3-0 but he worked hard to make up for his first leg nightmare.
Ramsey 7.5/10 – Should have started. Added real drive in midfield and popped up with another goal.
Walcott 6/10 – Barely saw the ball after replacing Welbeck. Although he did inadvertently set up the second after hitting the post.
So it’s glorious failure yet again for Arsenal and although we produced a very good performance tonight, the damage was done in the first leg and it was highly predictable that the calamitous third we conceded late on would kill us.
But we need to put this behind us quickly as we’ve got plenty left to play for in the Premier League and FA Cup….