- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Arsenal Scout Bundesliga Star, Wenger To Spend £50m On 3 New Players
The Telegraph are reporting that Arsenal are scouting Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic as Arsene Wenger gets set to splash £50m on three new signings this summer.
It’s thought that despite signing Calum Chambers and Gabriel Paulista over the past two transfer windows, the boss wants to bring in another centre-back this summer, which will put Per Mertesacker’s future at the club in serious doubt.
The newspaper claims that Arsene has identified Subotic as a potential target and has deployed his scouts to keep an eye on the Serbian international in recent months.
The 26-year-old has been a key player for Dortmund since joining the club in 2008 and at 6ft 3ins, he’d give us a towering presence at the back should Per leave.
Mertesacker’s form has been inconsistent this season and with the German turning 31 this year, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was to head back to his homeland this summer and Subotic would be an excellent replacement.
While a defender is on the agenda, the Telegraph suggest that Arsene’s priority remains to bring in a central midfielder and we’re expected to table a formal bid for Morgan Schneiderlin at the end of the season.
Francis Coquelin has been outstanding since returning to the club but with Diaby and Flamini set to leave this summer, we’ll need to bring in another defensive midfielder and I’ve always maintained that Schneiderlin would be my first choice.
The third area that Arsene wants to strengthen, according to the Telegraph, is the goalkeeping department. Szczesny has now been relegated to cup keeper and although Ospina has done reasonably well since coming in to the first team, the boss still feels he needs to sign a commanding No.1.
I agree and would love to see someone like Petr Cech arrive – although I highly doubt Mourinho would agree to sell to us. My personal opinion is that Wenger will use the remainder of the season to assess his keepers and make a decision in the summer.
If Ospina is outstanding during the next few weeks I wouldn’t be surprised if no keeper was signed. However, if he continues to be inconsistent, then I think we’ll look to bring someone else in.
If we could use the reported £50m budget to sign Subotic, Schneiderlin and Cech we’d finally have a squad capable of challenging for ALL top honours next season.