- Arsenal team news: double blow ahead of Sunderland + Ramsey update
- Duo to miss key game: My 4-2-3-1 Arsenal line-up v Sunderland
- Arsenal blow: Attacker ruled out for 6 weeks with ankle injury
- Arsenal boss set to hand start to 23-year-old against Sunderland
- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
Arsenal Hold Internal Talks Over Shock Swoop For Man Utd Duo
There have been some interesting reports doing the rounds in the newspapers recently claiming that Arsenal have held internal discussions about potential moves for Man Utd duo Chris Smalling and Jonny Evans.
Despite signing Gabriel Paulista in January, speculation suggests that Arsene Wenger is still looking to bring in another centre-back in the summer which could put Per Mertesacker future in serious doubt.
Names such as Alexander Dragovic have been linked in recent weeks but it was a surprise to see the Daily Mail reporting that club officials have also held talks about a potential swoop for Evans and Smalling.
It’s not made clear in the report, but I have to assume that we’re interested in both, but have the intention of only potentially signing one of them, as I really don’t see us bringing in two centre-backs this summer.
Evans and Smalling have both been tipped to leave Old Trafford at the end of the season as Louis van Gaal gets set to continue his squad overhaul, but joining Arsenal? Really?!
Surely we have our sights set a lot higher than buying United rejects these days? Arsene was a fan of Smalling when he was at Fulham and we came close to getting him in 2010, but he opted for United and it’s fair to say we haven’t missed much.
Evans is a disaster waiting to happen and no doubt United would jump at the chance of off-loading either of the pair to us.
I’d personally be surprised if anything came of this rumour and if we do sign another central defender this summer, I hope Arsene goes for a player in a far higher bracket than either Evans or Smalling.