- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
Arsenal Set To Table €35m Bid, Club ‘Likely’ To Accept – Report
According to reports, Arsenal are set to table a formal €35m offer for Jackson Martinez and Porto are ‘likely’ to accept our bid for the striker.
We’ve been strongly linked with Martinez for some time and speculation last month suggested that Arsene Wenger has once again made the Colombian a key summer target.
The boss has supposedly had his scouts keep a close eye on the 28-year-old this season and it appears he’s ready to make his move as the Metro are citing reports coming out of Spain that claim we’ll table a formal €35m (£25.4m) bid this summer.
The newspaper suggests that Porto are ‘likely’ to accept such an offer, despite Martinez having a €40m (£29m) buy-out clause in his contract.
It’s difficult to know what to make of all these rumours as I personally have my doubts over whether Arsene would spend that kind of money on a striker who’ll turn 29 later this year.
However, the speculation just won’t go away that we’re keen and the boss did little to dampen the rumours after recently praising Martinez and backing him to be a success in the Premier League.
“He could play in the Premier League, Jackson Martinez, because he has the body to make the difference.
“He uses in a very intelligent way his body, very short backlift and is a very good finisher.” Wenger is quoted as saying by the Express.
With comments like these, perhaps Arsene is lining-up a move for the player?
Martinez is certainly a prolific finisher. He’s scored 26 goals in 31 games this season alone. So he’d no doubt offer a real goal threat up front if he did come to the Emirates this summer, but I’d still be surprised to see it happen.
I expect the boss to look for a goalkeeper and central midfielder this summer, with another striker a distant third on his priority list.