- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
Under-Fire ‘Flop’ Wins Arsenal February Player of the Month Award
Mesut Ozil has been named as Arsenal’s Player of the Month for February, despite coming under increasing criticism from fans and pundits.
The German international returned from injury and put in some fantastic displays last month, scoring goals against Aston Villa and Tottenham while he also chipped in with three assists.
The club announced this afternoon that Ozil’s contributions have seen him win the February Player of the Month award for the first time this season, with 33.5% of the votes, beating Olivier Giroud into second with 21% while Santi Cazorla came in third on 19%.
No matter how many goals Ozil scores or how many he assists for his team mates, he still draws criticism from pundits, journalists and even our own Arsenal fans.
I wrote an article last week about the harsh criticism aimed at Ozil as he’s regularly used as the scapegoat whenever we lose a game. Monaco being a classic example.
Gary Neville claimed Ozil has been ‘awful lately’ during the defeat last week and he’s regular labelled a ‘flop’ and ‘lazy’. Even when he was scoring and assisting last month people were still getting on his back.
Well, at least there seems to be some Arsenal fans out there who appreciate what he brings to the team as his POTM award for February proves.
Let’s hope Mesut grabs another assist against QPR tonight to help us to victory, although I’m sure the journo’s will still find something to complain about in the papers tomorrow…
— Arsenal FC (@Arsenal) March 4, 2015