- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Team News: Wenger’s Update On The Ox, Wilshere, Ospina & Szczesny
It’s been another busy day of team news as Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger gave a update ahead of our Champions League clash with Monaco. Here’s a round-up of the latest news…
The big story to come from Arsene’s pre-match press conference this morning was that Jack Wilshere is set to miss the game tomorrow.
The midfielder returned to the bench for Saturday’s 2-1 win at Crystal Palace but after failing to get any minutes under his belt, many thought he was being held back for the Monaco game.
However, Arsene has confirmed that Jack is likely to sit out the game after missing training on Tuesday, but he insists there has been no set back and he’s simply resting the 23-year-old after two tough weeks training after a three month injury absence.
The good news is that that Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain could be in contention after Arsene also revealed that the midfielder is back in full training after a month out with a groin problem.
I doubt The Ox will start but he should replace Wilshere on the bench and may get a chance on feature during the second half.
David Ospina received lengthy treatment during the Palace win and there were reports circulating that the keeper might be a doubt to face Monaco. However, Arsene has eased those fears by confirming the Colombian has trained and is fit for selection.
The boss was also quizzed about out-of-favour goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and he says he’s not worried about the Polish international as competition for places is part of the job, but he refused to reveal who’ll start between the sticks tomorrow.
I’d personally like to see Szczesny resorted as our No.1 but I have a feeling we’ll see Ospina once again start against Monaco.
Here’s what Arsene told Arsenal.com this afternoon:
on the team news…
The only uncertainty I have at the moment is Jack Wilshere but everybody else is available. He was rested [at training], because he trained hard until now. No, it’s not a setback but I don’t think [he'll play against Monaco].
on whether Oxlade-Chamberlain has returned to full training…
on David Ospina…
He’s fit. He trained.
on Wojciech Szczesny…
I worry about every single player in my squad and I want every single player to be happy but at the end of the day only 11 players can start the game. That’s the same for every single player. We have competition for places and that’s part of our job. I don’t think that’s a special worry.
on who will start in goal against Monaco…
I cannot tell you that today.