- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
- [Photos] Several youngsters join Ramsey & Giroud in Arsenal training
- Team News: Arsenal duo ruled out but star to return against Reading
- Arsenal boss confirms these 9 players will feature against Reading
- Wenger to hand attacker first start of the season against Reading
- Arsenal boss offers injury update on Cazorla & Giroud
- Ratings: Cech shines but Ozil fails to spark as Arsenal held
- Video: Arsenal 0-0 Boro: Lackluster Gunners drop valuable points
- Teams: Arsenal v Middlesbrough: Cazorla out, Elneny in
- Team news: Wenger’s update on Ramsey, Welbeck, Giroud & Cazorla
Arsenal Plotting Move For £25m-Rated German – Report
According to reports, Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is lining-up a summer swoop for Bayer Leverkusen goalkeeper Bernd Leno.
Wojciech Szczesny has lost his place in the first team in recent weeks after a disappointing performance away at Southampton on New Years Day and reports suggest that Arsene has lost faith in the 24-year-old.
The Polish international has played twice in the FA Cup but David Ospina has been used in all the Premier League games since the disaster at St Mary’s.
The Colombian has done a reasonable job between the sticks but there has been increasing speculation suggesting that Arsene is looking to bring in a new No.1 this summer.
Likes likes of Petr Cech and Hugo Lloris have been linked but the Daily Star are citing reports coming from German outlet Bild that claim Arsenal have now identified German youngster Bernd Leno as a possible signing.
The 22-year-old has been in superb form for Bayer Leverkusen over the past 18 months and he’s really forging an excellent reputation in the Bundesliga, and Bild suggest that Wenger is now plotting a summer move.
So what to make of this rumour?…..
Well I certainly I think our goalkeeping situation is going to come under review at the end of the season and Szczesny is no doubt playing for his future at the club, but I fail to see the logic in bringing in a player like Leno who is two years younger than Szczesny and far less experienced.
Plus, reports claim Leverkusen will demand £25m for his signature. If we’re going to spend that sort of money, I’d much prefer we went for an established keeper like Cech or Lloris.
However, I don’t think Arsene will make any decisions until the end of the season. He’ll use the remainder of the campaign to assess Ospina and Szczesny and if neither make the No.1 shirt their own, then I think we’ll bring in a new first choice keeper.
Would Leno be the man he goes for? I’d personally be shocked if Arsene agreed to spend around £25m on him, but we’ll have to see what happens….