- League Cup draw: Arsenal face Southampton in last 8
- [Photos] Alexis Sanchez reveals frustration after Ballon d’Or Snub
- [Tweets] Arsenal players celebrate on Twitter after beating Reading
- [Player Ratings] Arsenal 2-0 Reading: The Ox & Gibbs Impress
- Video: Arsenal 2-0 Reading: Oxlade-Chamberlain double sinks Royals
- Teams: Arsenal v Reading: Jeff & Perez start
- [Video] Arsenal star out of Reading clash after sharing gym video
- Arsenal star surprisingly named in squad for Reading clash
- Preview: Arsenal v Reading, team news, 18yr old starts + prediction
- 4-2-3-1 v Reading: Perez & Jeff start – My Arsenal starting XI
Arsenal To Trump Man Utd’s €21m Offer To Brazilian Star – Report
According to reports in Spain, Arsenal are set to outbid Manchester United to secure the signature of Brazilian defender Dani Alves.
The 31-year-old has been at Barcelona since joining the club from Sevilla in 2008 and has played a central role in their success over the past seven years, with his adventurous displays at right-back helping the Catalans to four La Liga titles and two Champions Leagues.
However, Alves is out-of-contract in the summer and so far, Barca have yet to come forward with an offer of an extension leading to the players agent confirming last week that they have opened talks with other clubs.
Alves is able to sign a pre-contract agreement with a foreign club ahead of a free transfer move this summer and reports suggest that he’s already held talks with Arsenal and Manchester United.
The Metro claim that United looked to be the favourites after supposedly offering the Brazilian international a three-year deal worth €21m (£15.6m) to make the move to Old Trafford.
However, reports coming out of Spain now claim that Arsenal are set to trump United by offering higher wages in order to seal the players signature.
It remains to be seen how much truth there is behind these reports but I’d personally be shocked if they are accurate. Alves has been a fine attacking right-back over the years but he’ll turn 32 in May so I just don’t see Arsene Wenger agreeing to hand him a three year deal worth over €7m-a-season.
We already have Mathieu Debuchy on the books and he’s our experienced first choice, while Hector Bellerin has made huge strides already this season and I have no doubt he has what it takes to make the right-back slot his own for years to come.
Calum Chambers is also capable of playing on the right side of defence, so do we need another right-back? Even if we do need more depth there, can we justify handing out a mammoth contract to a soon-to-be 32-year-old? I’d say most certainly, NO.
So despite all the speculation, I’d be majorly surprised if anything came of these Alves rumours…